The Stevenage Dementia Involvement Group aims to provide opportunities for people living with dementia, and their carers, to influence dementia research and the planning of local services.
Read our summary report here
Stevenage Dementia Involvement Group provides opportunities for people with experience of dementia (including those living with dementia and their carers) to have influence on research and the planning of new services.
We launched in 2020 and we meet monthly to discuss particular topics relating to living with dementia or health and social care services in Stevenage.
At each session we invite a guest to visit the group and discuss their work. We then have a conversation around that topic and share our experiences.
As a result of the groups involvement we have:
- Contributed to 12 different projects and shared our feedback and opinions
- Collaborated with Hertfordshire Partnership NHS Foundation Trust Memory Clinic to improve dementia services
- Inspired the set up of a new walking group in Stevenage
- Contributed to the development of a Dementia Friendly Activity Brochure
- Shared our views with Stevenage Borough Council on how to make Stevenage a Dementia Friendly Community
- Input into the development of a Dementia Urgent Care Plan that NHS England launched in February 2023.
- Created a video about our experience of the group (see below)
I am so pleased to be given the opportunity to be involved with the group and know that my thoughts and feelings are being listened to and hopeful that this may lead to positive change
After each session, our views and feedback are written up into an accessible report. This is co-produced with group members.
Feel free to read some of our latest reports below:
What a lovely group! The group identified how the form presented could be simplified and the suggestions have all been incorporated. They were constructive and supportive and a really fab bunch.
Get in touch
Reaching Out 2: Conversations with community leaders in our region & responses to the pandemic
Tracey Johns, Research Design Service East of England Regional Public Involvement lead, chats with Su Harvey, Director of The Red Shed; a charity based in Stevenage providing gardening activities for people living with dementia and their carers and families, discussing their experiences of research and issues that matter to the diverse communities they support.